Monday, November 7, 2011

A Little bit about Me...

My name is Morgan Fulmer and I'm a second year Physician Assistant student at the University of Iowa. I have always had a strange fascination with India, so I was delighted to hear that my program offered International Medicine credit for rotations completed with Child Family Health International there. I enrolled in the Rural/Urban Himalayan Rotation and spent October of 2011 at various sites in North India.




I had a few friends who had worked with CHFI abroad and had good experiences, and receiving a scholarship was a huge help, as the cost of a graduate education is already staggering! One of the things I love most about CFHI is that they operate with a less than 10% overhead cost, leaving a huge portion of program fees going directly into the local communities with limited financial resources or access to healthcare. In some cases, entire clinics--the facility, medicines/supplies, & providers-- are maintained by CFHI. In rural areas, the organization trains "Health Promotors" that return to their respective villages with crucial knowledge of basic disease treatment.



In essence, this organization covers two objectives in its mission: provides students with a global health experience while financially & medically benefitting local communities. Everyone wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment